Thursday, October 16, 2008

Two Pages

All these writing exercises come from a book "Thinking of Memoir" by Abigail Thomas. They each begin with "Write two pages of..."
I was going through them in order, but I have changed my mind, and am now going to pick "at random."
"Write two pages of lies." Oh, by the way, the reason I didn't put the "two pages" in before is that I didn't want to feel obligated to write two whole pages. Anyway, what does that mean - two pages? How big are the pages? How big is the writing? I just found the "two pages" dictum constricting. Nobody likes a constricting dictum, eh? Probably, "dictum" is not the right word to use, but I just like the alliterative sound to the whole thing, so I'm going with it.
ANYway, so, the REAL reason I am going to start putting the "Write two pages of..." is that many of these dicta (!) make more sense when they are begun with those words. I am not sure but I think it is the "of" that does it. Further study is needed.
OK, back to the lies. Perhaps I have been reluctant to get on with the lies. The whole concept of honesty , in general, has a bit of a hot button-ness to it. Is that a word - button-ness? See how I am procrastinating? It is not as easy as it looks - to be open about lying! Think about it!
It just may be that I am not in the mood to lie today. Does one even need to be in a particular mood, in order to lie? Well, now, see I have learned something about myself right there. Apparently I correlate some kind of mood with the ability or the desire to engage in deceit. Which is strange in itself, because in point of fact, I happen to be in somewhat of a upbeat and energetic mood, bordering even on joviality. To me this would almost seem to predispose me to, at the very least, a bit of mischievousness. And that is certainly one road to deception. So, all of this is becoming a little confusing to me. That brings me to the conclusion that this whole post is nonsense, and you could certainly classify nonsense as a bunch of lies, loosely speaking. I guess I accomplished the task after all. On to bigger and better lies, darling.

No comments: