Sunday, October 19, 2008

T.G.I.S.

My favorite day of the week is Sunday. It is usually the one day I can sleep late - not that I do, but knowing that I could somehow makes it feel different. Certainly, I can laze about for a bit, and not pop up and out of bed almost as soon as the alarm goes off (or sooner!). Again, not that I always laze, but knowing that I could is the important thing.
I could like Sunday because of the Sunday New York Times with all its juicy Sunday sections. But the fact is, we get most of those ahead of time, on Saturday. If I'm lucky, I have already read most of the good Sunday stuff, unless I purposefully save some, which I do sometimes.
Then, there is always the making of the Sunday breakfast. But, alas I make breakfast for those critters every morning, so there is nothing really special to like about Sunday breakfasts.
A lot of times, we do something together as a family, like take a hike or maybe once in a while go to a movie or out to lunch. That is certainly a highlight.
There are a lot of nice things about Sunday. But my favorite part is something that is missing. What's missing is the dread I used to feel, back when I worked outside the home. The dread had to do with Monday morning. It was a physical feeling, almost a sadness. In point of fact, the actual experience of Monday was not nearly as gruesome as the anticipation of it. Which is funny, when you think about it.
So now, I can love Sunday for what it is, a nice and usually relaxing day. I am thankful for that.

No comments: