Friday, June 6, 2008

Change takes place at the level of your oughts

For some, the phrase "change takes place at the level of your thoughts" has a lot of resonance and meaning. I took it a little further by declaring that it takes place at the level of your "oughts." How many of us tell ourselves "I shoulda...I woulda...I coulda" without assessing what that means? Well, I do it, and it's my blog, so I'm talking about it.
Shoulds and woulds and coulds are all very slippery slopes. Partway down the slope is self-judgment, and a little further down is self-blame. At the bottom: self-condemnation. All three are not conducive to true change. So, when we aspire to be conscious of our "Should, would, could" thoughts, we can move in the direction of the summit. From there we can see clearly what change will best serve us in any given situation.
After all, it's all about change.
I would have written more, but I decided I shouldn't. That oughta do it.

No comments: