Monday, June 16, 2008

Problem? Schmoblem!

Growing up, I heard "there are no problems, only solutions." As an adult, I have told myself and taught my children, "We are solution-oriented in this family." Today I read (not for the first time):
"Every problem has in it the seeds of its own solution. If you don't have any problems, you don't get any seeds." (Norman Vincent Peale)

For me, to say I am solution-oriented means that I seek to perceive the spiritual roots of the problems that crop up in my life. When I choose to see any difficulty or hardship or obstacle (i.e. whatever shape the problem takes), as an opportunity (for learning, for growth, for giving love, for forgiving!), then I am pointing myself in the direction of the "solution." As always, the outcome is assured, though it may not always be what I think it will be.
In my experience, a problem always has a solution that comes with it. It is my task to focus on that. Often that simple act is enough to clear the weeds: the "why me" and the "why now" and the "what, again?"
If every problem comes with the seeds of its own solution, then I can find the seeds and plant them and water them, step aside and let the sun shine on them.

No comments: