Wednesday, June 11, 2008

You say tomato, I say tomato

The latest food-borne disease scare was announced the other day. What the industry calls "tomatoes" have been linked to salmonella outbreaks in some states. As of now, the cause is unknown.
May I venture an opinion here? Those things they are calling tomatoes are not tomatoes!! They are some sort of food product engineered to look and (not very much) taste like a tomato. I found it amusing that the officials are actually announcing that it is safe to eat homegrown tomatoes. Are we so paranoid or stupid that we need to be told this?
It has long been difficult for me to buy one of those reddish orbs that they sell in the supermarket. At best, I will opt for an incredibly expensive tomato on the vine, or treat myself to some grape tomatoes or cherry tomatoes. At least these have some tomato taste. Lo, and behold, these are also the tomatoes that are now the only ones considered safe to eat! Coincidence? Hmmm......

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't that the truth! In my land of birth a single tomato will scent the whole house.

Great goings-on with your birds by the way. Wonder what kind of bird it is. Depending on that, there's a message there for you.

Meredith said...

I'm pretty sure it's a sparrow!