Saturday, May 31, 2008

Bird's Nest on My Door


There is a wreath on my front door, made of various leaves and twigs and dried flowers and herbs.
I noticed a few weeks ago that it is looking a bit tired after a few seasons of facing the elements, even though it is partially protected by the overhang. I also noticed that some birds were stealing from it - I figured they liked the bits for making their nests. So I decided to leave it up for a while longer.
Today I realized that I was catching those birds almost every time I opened the door. They would immediately flit away, of course. It dawned on me, and I confirmed, that they have built a nest right in the wreath! Sure enough, there is a nest that fits perfectly in the middle of the wreath, and it is very well camouflaged, too. Peering inside, I see 6 beautiful, tiny eggs in various shades of blue!
Isn't that great?
There is a window in the door, through which you can see outside, right through the middle of the wreath. From inside, you can see the silhouette of the bird as it tends to its eggs. Truly magical.
When the eggs hatch, I will have a musical door!

No comments: