Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Lunchtime with Larry

Last night I had a long, complex dream involving numerous scenery and wardrobe changes. The one event I recall vividly is this: I was in a school cafeteria, and in the far corner was a table of administrators and teachers. The people I sat with were noticing that Larry David, the writer and actor, was sitting at that table. Someone at my table asked, "Why is Larry David having lunch?" and I replied, "Probably because he's hungry!"
When I awoke, of course I thought this was pretty funny. Then I thought about it a little more, in light of the fact that dreams are usually highly symbolic. I wondered what this little snippet could mean. I decided that what happened was that a very simple question was asked, one which had a very simple answer, no doubt. In any case, the true answer as to why Larry David was present was not readily apparent to me, in the dream anyway. Perhaps he knew one of the teachers. Perhaps it wasn't really Larry David, only a look-alike.
What really struck me was my own answer. It seemed perfectly obvious to me that the reason someone is eating is that they are hungry. The fact that they are famous, and the fact that it is completely unexpected that they would be eating lunch in a school cafeteria for no apparent reason, is completely irrelevant.
Finally, I attempted to extrapolate a lesson from this dream. After all, what are dreams for if not to provide enlightenment? This is what I came up with:
Our lives consist of a series of questions asked and answered. We are always engaged in an internal dialogue with our selves. What will happen tomorrow? Why did I do that today? Where did I leave my keys?....the questions are many and varied. We may not even be aware of how many questions we are answering every moment of our lives. The majority of the questions are quite mundane. Once in a while, a "big" question comes along. Where should I move next? Is this the right person for me? What do I want to be when I grow up?
Becoming mindful of the way in which we answer the day to day questions that occur in our self-dialogue (is that a misnomer?) can help us immeasurably when the larger questions arise. Are we honest with ourselves? Do we try to seek quick comfort, or are we willing to forestall pleasure for our own greater good? Do we treat ourselves with compassion and good humor, or do we belittle ourselves and deride our own foibles?
Our survival toolkit must include the ability to answer our questions truthfully, respectfully, and lovingly. We practice on the small, daily questions, and we strengthen our ability. When the big questions come along, then we are ready.
I guess you could say that lunchtime with Larry was productive.

No comments: