Monday, March 9, 2009

Laughter and kindness

Is morality relative or absolute?
The reason I am asking this is that I have been wondering when, if ever, it is okay to laugh at others. I had been offered a link to a video showing clips of "crazy women drivers" crashing into things and having a hard time parking, etc. Personally, I did not find the video funny, regardless of the gender of the drivers in the clips.
Leaving aside the gender issue, the video is meant for us to laugh at others. I was left wondering why some of us find the mistakes and shortcomings of others amusing. Is it that we feel more human when we are shown examples of our foibles? Are we enjoying the feeling of superiority that we ourselves would never do these things? Or do we relate on a personal level - "Oh, I can't parallel park either - hahaha!!"
I don't want to fall into the trap of judging those who might laugh at this video - everyone comes to the table with their own experience, beliefs and values - and that colors their perception, and informs their amusement (or lack thereof!). Humor is subjective, of course. I think what struck me about the video, and the comments (overwhelmingly expressing approval), is that most people don't see anything wrong with laughing at other people. I admit, it strikes me as unkind! There, I've said it! I think there is not enough kindness in the world today. Simple, everyday kindness. And anything that perpetuates this lack of kindness must be scrutinized for its necessity. Do we need this video, and do we need to praise it?
I say no. I say what we need is more kindness. Granted, we need more laughter. But I hold that the laughter should not be at the expense of kindness.
I continue to ponder the original question, as I go about my day. I will report back later.

No comments: