Thursday, November 6, 2008

How I Make My Bed

I smooth out the bottom sheet, pulling it back onto the mattress if needed. Then, I pull up the top sheet and the blanket until they come all the way to the head of the bed. As I adjust them to the head of the bed, there is a little pocket of air that has to settle down before I can continue. Once that is gone, I can tidy up the top of the sheet/blanket combination. It is preferred that they come all the way to to the top, but if they don't that is okay, as long as they are neat. I used to fold them both down a little bit, but I stopped doing that, and I have no idea why.
Next I pull the sides down as far as they go, and straighten them if necessary. I put my favorite pillow, the memory foam one, propped up against the headboard with the opening of the pillowcase facing towards the center of the bed (after smoothing out the case, of course).Next comes the king size pillow, which is mainly used when I am sitting up in bed, but also comes in handy as a sound barrier, placed between us like a wall, when John is snoring. The pillowcase, again, has its opening facing the middle of the bed.
At this point, it is imperative to skedaddle on over to the other side of the bed to repeat all of the above. That side is John's side, and needless to say it comes with its own set of issues vis a vis wrinkles, sheets coming undone from the mattress, and so on. These are attended to in short order. Now the bed is ready for the duvet. This often has to be replumped and reshaped. It comes with the territory, and is totally worth it due to its warmth. The duvet makes the bed somewhat lumpy and disheveled looking. I'm not thrilled with that, but the lovely cover does make up for it to a certain degree.
The duvet is pulled up level with and at times may even be under the pillows, but just a bit. It's important that the duvet and pillows coexist in a pleasant way, and that the entire arrangement is pleasing to the eye. Also important is that no sheets appear untucked when you look at the bed from across the room. As long as the duvet is covering it, it is alright.
Finally, the pillow shams are placed in front of the other pillows. These can be placed in either direction because their openings are not evident. However, I do prefer that the opening is outward facing, to be honest. But I don't sweat it either way.
By now, I am pretty much done, except that since there is a chaise at the end of the bed, I sometimes have to move the chaise a bit away from the bed, give the duvet a nice little tug to put it in place, and then return the chaise to its proper position.
I DO THIS EVERY MORNING AS SOON AS I GET UP. sheesh.

No comments: