Thursday, September 11, 2008

Sorry, that's all she wrote

Today's topic: write an apology for something that you didn't do.
What is the purpose of an apology, after all? Does it help the apologizer as much as, or even more than, the intended receiver of the apology? Does a sincere apology serve to heal the world in general?
Dictionary time!
Apology: A statement of acknowledgment expressing regret or asking pardon.
Apology: A statement that justifies or defends something, such as a past action or policy.
Hmm....those are two slightly different things. One expresses regret, one defends something, with no connotation of regret.
Have you ever apologized for something that you really didn't feel sorry about? Did you use the words "I apologize" instead of "I'm sorry," when you knew an apology was in order, but you really didn't feel the regret? Here's a clue about me: if I say "I apologize" about something, then I am not really sorry at that moment!
This is my apology for something I didn't do: I am sorry I didn't say I was sorry when I was apologizing to you. Got that? I meant it!

No comments: