Saturday, September 20, 2008

One Moment, Please

"Write about what you had to have."
We all have those moments - when the present is distilled into a crystal clear memory. Time seems to stop, and every sensation and every thought seems to be etched in an instant onto our consciousness. These may not always be pleasant moments - but when they are, and the moment is sweet and precious, it is truly a gift. It is a gift that we can keep opening simply by thinking of it, and savoring once again its qualities. There may be times when these moments carry us through more difficult passages. There may be times when we dwell too long in these moments. I believe these moments are meant to be revisited only as a passing thought and not lingered in. Otherwise we can get too caught up in the illusion of loss; and if we are reliving a moment, we are not currently experiencing our own present being. But for the comfort, and the pleasure, and the loving peacefulness they provide, I am truly thankful for my moments. Could I live without them? I suppose so, but I sure am glad they are in my repertoire. I might even go so far as to say: I had to have them. They sustain me. They delight me. They inform me. They remind me. They love me. And I love them back.

No comments: