Friday, October 2, 2009

Judge not, lest ye be judged

"Judge not...." When I become aware that I am judging another, I almost always stop and examine my motives. I ask myself why I am judging this person. For example: Am I envious of their possessions? Am I fearful of their negativity? Am I gaining a feeling of superiority from this?
Always, my goal is to "judge not." Of course, the quote above is speaking of the negative connotation of "judge." There certainly is room in life for discernment. And I don't want people walking all over me or using me either. And yet, the world around me is rife with opportunities to pass judgment on others.
I use these moments of awareness to teach myself lessons about humility, acceptance, tolerance, gratitude and serenity. I am grateful for the abundance of opportunities that the world presents me for this purpose.
"...lest ye be judged" When we attack another (and judgment can be viewed as a mental attack), we are also attacking ourselves. This speaks to the concept that we are all One. We are all connected on some level, and the ways that we interact on the subtle level have meaning and significance, even when we are not aware of it. So, the judgment that goes out from us bounces right back. This can be seen clearly when it is the case that what we are judging in another is also a trait that we ourselves possess. But it can also exist purely in the act of judging itself.
Judging another widens the gaps between us. It emphasizes the illusion of separation. It alienates us from God-consciousness.

No comments: