Wednesday, July 22, 2009

What I don't need

"Write about.....what you don't need"
I don't need all these old clothes in my closet. Who am I kidding? I am not ever going to wear that silk blouse from the 1990's for goodness' sake. I loved the blouse, I wore it often, it slipped out of my repertoire, it went out of fashion, and there it sits. I keep thinking I will wear it again, but the truth is, I haven't worn it in over ten years. I don't need it, clearly. Even though I have winnowed out much clothing periodically, certain items keep clinging, most likely because of some sentimental attachment.
But now is a time to ask myself: do I need this in my life? If the answer is, no I don't need it, then out it must go.
I don't need those clothes, and as a matter of fact, that lack of need is a clarion call: simplify! purge! cast off the old to make room for the new! Let those old pieces of fabric (for that is really all they are) be a metaphor for your whole life, Meredith! Make room for some new clothes!
OK, here I go!

No comments: