Monday, August 4, 2008

Aging

I can't deny that I am getting older. After all, I get older every day no matter what. We all do! As soon as we are born, we start to age. There are peaks and valleys, spurts and lulls, in our aging process. There are "phases" and "plateaus" and "milestones."
Today is my birthday, so it is a milestone of sorts. Not a major one, but there is a major one coming up next year, so my mind does reach towards it.
I can't deny that I am getting older. My body feels older. My face looks older, especially (to me) in the last year or so. I am not really sure why the aging suddenly kicked in, or caught up with me like that! Maybe because of the weight I lost? Maybe the stress of the last five years? Whatever the cause, I see my aging before me when I look in the mirror. In any case, if I don't look, I don't really have to acknowledge it. But I can't deny it: I am getting older.
And yet: I am all the ages I have ever been. I am lucky that my best feature (in my opinion) is my lovely blue eyes, and they don't age, or haven't yet! I still have the radiance that has always been part of me. I can't imagine ever losing that!
I can't deny I am getting older. I think I am becoming wiser as well. That is truly the gift of age that I treasure the most. Aging does perhaps bring the necessity to slow down, to pace yourself, to make allowances for the human body. Aging also brings experience, of course. And as the mind processes more experiences, the learning opportunities do not end. Whence comes wisdom (I hope).

No comments: