Friday, April 22, 2011

Between a rock and a hard place

As the prayer says, I am to accept hardships as the pathway to peace. I am wondering, is hardship the only pathway to peace? Is it the acceptance of hardship that is the pathway to peace, or is it the hardship itself?
I often find myself these days contemplating my life in this context. To an outsider, my life looks very easy, and certainly in so many ways it is. And yet there is hardship of a sort. No details here. Just trust me on that. So, do I accept the hardship and find myself on the pathway to peace? Really?
What exactly does this pathway look like? How do I even know I am on it? For all I know, I am on a completely different pathway. Perhaps I took a wrong turn, or I didn't accept strongly enough or consistently enough. Who decides this stuff anyway? Who decides if I have accepted hardship, which therefore places me on this pathway to that peace? Is it me? Is it God?
I seem to have more questions than answers on this one. Hmmmm.....so be it. It must be so.

No comments: