Saturday, October 16, 2010

The Sound of Silence

Having experienced a bout of laryngitis this past week, I have had on my mind the sound of silence. Oxymoronic as it is, the phrase also speaks loudly of paradox. How can sound be silent? How does silence have any sound?
With so much change swirling around my life (yet once again, or still, whatever), I do find myself longing for silence. That does not only mean silence from the outer world. It also means silence inside of myself. I am not always handling the change well. I am being loud, when it would be better to be quiet. I am being quiet, when it would be better to speak out. I haven't really resolved this. I am simply recording my present state of mind. In that sense, this is more truly a diary entry than a blog post. SO be it. I am not in the mood to care what anyone else thinks about what I have to say. I don't mean that in any belligerent sense. I am tired of justifying my emotions, to myself or to others. I don't want to explain anything. I don't want to hear anything. I crave silence. In silence, I could think. In silence I could figure out what to do next. Or could I?

1 comment:

A Dagenham Girl said...

I've discovered that as I get older I crave silence and stillness more and more - I have to have some part of the day when I am alone with my thoughts. The world around me doesn't necessarily need to be silent or still as long as the world doesn't expect me to join in all the time. Maybe different to the silence you mention in your post. Judith (Precious Moments)