Wednesday, August 4, 2010

No turning back now

A birthday seems like a good time to reflect on the prior year, and anticipate the coming year. Although I've undergone many changes in the year gone by, most of them have been external: a transatlantic move being the most prominent. Of course, I had an idealistic hope that this move would be the catalyst for other changes. I would rather not enumerate them here, but suffice to say the changes are of a more internal nature. That means I start with the woman in the mirror. I spend a lot of time and energy taking care of my family. Let's face it: they are a high maintenance bunch, each in their own way.
But what about Meredith? The ways I take care of myself are generally, er, expedient in nature. I think the first change will be to do less of that. That sounds cryptic, and it is meant to be so. I am playing my cards close to the chest. I want to be mysterious. I need to stop making excuses and start making sense - to myself.
And that is my birthday reflection.

No comments: