Sunday, June 13, 2010

I met Colin Firth!

We went to the Bedford Park Green Days Festival today, at Acton Green Common (10 minutes walk from our house). There were the usual craft booths, musical performances, food, games, and carnival rides.
DH and I were watching the kids on the bumper car rides, when I noticed Colin Firth standing ten feet away from me! He was waiting for his boy on another ride. He was just standing there by himself, just a regular fellow. He was so unassuming that at first I couldn't believe it was him!
Now, I knew when I moved here that he lives in this neighborhood. It was my most fervent wish that one day I would chance to see him around town. I imagined him, dashing and debonair, striding down the street, perhaps with a small entourage. And I would catch a quick glimpse of his wonderful self, but wouldn't dream of actually approaching him, or being able to for that matter!
So, here he was, just a dad out with his kid. He looked older and considerably less polished than his Hollywood persona, but the calm intensity in his manner was still there.
I looked his way a few times, but didn't want to stare, so I pretended to be looking at the ride. Then he walked away to another ride. I told DH that I had seen Colin Firth, and wasn't that wonderful? When the kids came off their ride, we walked down the path in the same direction.
Suddenly, there he was, and DH stopped, and said to him, "Excuse me, would you please say hello to my wife, and shake her hand?" Colin Firth was, in true British fashion, calm and expressionless. He stuck his hand out, said "Hello." And I took his hand, and it was...dry...and a bit cold and rough. Not what I expected! I managed to say "Nice to see you," and gave his hand a quick squeeze before turning away.
It happened so very quickly, and I was so amazed that DH did that for me! I would never have done it. But now I can die a happy woman because I have touched Colin Firth, one of my favorite actors.
I never thought of myself as star struck. But it was thrilling.
As we left the area, he was there, watching his boy on the bumper cars.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! OMG OMG OMG..I KNOW how much you admire CF and his movies.
what a thrill...I would have been jumping up and down, some of that British reserve must have rubbed off on you! lol.
DH is so cool to have done that for you!
I don't know how to post other than anonymous, but this is from Shirley

Anonymous said...

Lucky lucky you!!!I love Colin Firth too and admire his tireless work for charities too.I am very jealous!What a lovely bloke.Steph

Anonymous said...

Seriously kewl, but...(a) he wasn't standing next to his son(s), (b) you didn't ask for a picture, (c) you didn't ask for an autograph, (d) you didn't touch him inappropriately, (e) you didn't try to engage him in conversation - and he couldn't give you a smile? What's up with that!