Tuesday, May 18, 2010

You say pommes de terre, I say potato

Part of the process of assimilation into a new culture is comparing it to the culture you have just left behind. Differences and similarities abound, to be sure. The similarities tend to be comforting. But they are always closely followed by the disparities. For example, there are many, many American shows on our telly. There are quite a few American shows that I never even watched in the US! Be that as it may, when I am watching an American show, I tend to be lulled by the familiarity of it, in particular by the American accents and words. Suddenly, a commercial (er, advert) comes on, and blasts me back to reality. Generally, I can understand what is said, although not always. Again, the accents are clearly different. And, usually, the products are, too.
Maybe that discrepancy will always be apparent. Maybe in time, I won't even notice such things. After all, there are plenty of American accents in the adverts, and plenty of British actors on American shows.
It's like when I am walking down the street here. Just in my neighborhood, when I pass people who are conversing, easily half the time they are not speaking English of any kind! Most often, I hear French or German.
All of this reminds me, throughout the day, that I am in a foreign country. And I am guest here. I wonder when I will feel at home here? When I stop comparing?

No comments: